The Facts About Partial Dentures
As you look for options to replace your missing teeth, don’t forget to consider partial dentures!
Partial dentures are the best option for you if you need a strong, reliable, and removable appliance to complete your smile. This appliance has a pink, gum-like base and it has beautiful false teeth attached to the bottom or top, depending on if you need an upper or lower denture. The denture is custom made for your smile, so it should fit perfectly inside the gap between your teeth. When you wear this appliance, simply place it inside the gap and clasp it to the remaining teeth on both sides.
When wearing the denture, you can expect the following:
- Your appliance may feel a bit bulky or awkward when you first start wearing it. However, there is no need to worry as this is completely normal. You will become accustomed to it with time.
- You may also need to practice inserting and removing the denture from your mouth. This task might be tricky at first.
- Your dentist will give you the specific instructions you need to take full advantage of the denture. Dr. Richards will tell you how to care for the denture and he will also inform you on when, where, and how long to wear the denture. Your dentist will also ask you not to bite down on the appliance when you are placing it into your smile.
- Eating might be a bit difficult at first, but it should get better with a bit of practice. Simply start by eating small, soft foods and then gradually move your way up to large, solid foods as time passes by.
- Speaking might also be difficult in the beginning. However, that can be easily fixed if you simply read out loud throughout the day and repeat the words you have a hard time saying.
Now please remember that it is very important to care for your denture when it is in and out of your mouth. You can do so by brushing the appliance with non-abrasive toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush as well as keeping it in water overnight.
If you are interested in improving your smile with this beneficial option, please call our office today at 208-237-6453 and schedule an appointment with our friendly dentist. We look forward to helping you achieve the smile of your dreams!